Tuesday 14 August 2018

Making Magic

I encountered an interesting article entitled, "You are a Magician". I was intrigued. It began with a definition of magic.

Magic is the Art and Science of causing change to occur in conformity with Will.

What does this mean? How does this apply to me? How can I be a magician? 

One of the best examples in my own life has to do with public speaking. As a result of certain events that occurred in my childhood, I lack self-confidence. Do not misunderstand me. I am very confident when practising my profession. I have developed skills and incorporated learning that fill me with confidence when I work. I know this stuff! 

BUT self-confidence is an entirely different matter. I do not or have not practised confidence in myself since about the age of 11. Why do I say this? Because I 'hide' myself. I do not inhabit the space I know as "self". In reality, for many years I did not even know myself. I was too scared to be myself because I was afraid no-one would like me. What do I have to offer to the world?

What does this have to do with public speaking and magic? I discovered, over time, that I love to teach. I love to share my knowledge because it is my belief that knowledge is power. I began to do this in every consultation until a client proposed that I gather some of my knowledge and present a workshop. I balked at the idea for a long time but the seed was planted. 

Slowly I began to think about what I would like to share and how I would do it. Part of this journey was to uncover my "self". I also realised that I needed some help in constructing presentations. I sought advice, watched webinars and attended workshops on public speaking. Today I can stand up in front of a room full of people and deliver a speech! 

I have created magic! 

I decided (my Will in the original definition) to pursue public speaking and now I am most capable(through desire and intent I have changed an aspect of myself). 

Magic = the Art and Science of causing change to occur in conformity with Will. 

Where have you set about to change a behaviour or mindset? Or built a business? Or stopped a childhood pattern that no longer served you? Where have you created magic?

This week I accepted that I am a magician AND so are you!

No comments:

Post a Comment